October 26, 2012

How to have Bible values in what we write


A couple of weeks ago, I started a Discussion in the Christian Poets and Writers group on LinkedIn with the question, “Is the Bible an essential part of your work as a Christian poet, writer, editor, or publisher?”

One of our CP&W members responded with another important question, “How do we keep biblical values in our writing?”

I replied by saying something about how poems and writings in almost any genre reflect our Bible values then gave an example of “Blue Bloods,” one of my favorite TV shows that is "secular" but often ends by showing the biblical value of a family sharing a meal. People used to sit down and “break bread” together regularly but seldom now. What made the scene even better, though, was a televised demonstration of faith as the family prays before the meal – not with heads bowed symbolically but with full audio given to the prayer.

With that in mind and spirit, I went on to say in the CP&W Discussion that I’m not worried about Christian poets and writers omitting biblical value. Presenting godly values will just happen – naturally and supernaturally too, but what I failed to add is that this hinges on how well we know the Bible ourselves.

That thought has been on my mind even more since the CP&W conversation put it there because I then started to notice clever or catchy sayings that sound wise being posted by talented Christians, who might not know the difference between biblical values and what just sounds good. These poetic but pithy words seem sagacious yet have no nutritional value for spiritual growth because they just aren't true!

So how do we know if our writings have Bible value and not worldly ones that sound biblical but may merely be half-truths?

The best way, of course, is to know the Bible well, then keep on reading.

We can also research whatever does not sound right. The Biblegateway.com website eases such searches for words or phrases, but if that doesn’t reveal the real word on a hard-to-pinpoint topic, ask your pastor, preacher, or priest.

Look for clues, too, as you discern the difference between biblical values, popular expressions, or wise-sounding-sayings. Such words as “always,” “never,” “every,” or other absolutes may sound nice and pretty yet seldom be true.

This last word is, therefore, first and foremost: Pray!

Whether we write novels, poems, devotionals, children’s stories, nonfiction articles, or television scripts, our God-given values provide a strong spiritual antidote for remedying the contagious, ungodly values currently making the rounds!

If we ask God to help us speak clearly, ring truly, and be biblically accurate, we will communicate no ungodly dis-ease, but, in word and spirit, ease our readers into the true and healing word of God in Christ.

~~

© 2012, Mary Harwell Sayler, all rights reserved, but pass it on!

~~

2 comments:

Shari LeKane said...

One of my daily rituals and spiritual motivators is a reading from *True Serenity* 30 Days with a Great Spiritual Teacher based on Thomas a Kempis' The Imitation of Christ. These daily devotional prayers offer me strength, wisdom and guidance to apply to my daily situations and challenges that help me overcome anxiety and pain, especially in my recovery from brain surgery and as I deal with a chronic and terminal disease. The readings inspire my poetry, which is another strategy I use to manage my pain and convert negative energy into positive outcomes. It is my way to spiritualize my experience and existence in this, and all situations.

Mary Sayler said...

Thank you, Shari, for reminding me of the copy of The Imitation of Christ sitting on my desk! Do the Psalms helps you too? They give me comfort during hard times, and so does writing poetry and praying and praying and praying.... And I pray right now for God to give you His prayers to pray and His healing power for you to receive and radiate in Jesus' Name. God bless you and all you have yet to do.

Me, Myself, and Eye Care

  Over a decade ago I began this blog, and, as time has flown, so has my vision. With a few other blogs to maintain, I hope to post/ repost ...