- Notice the publishers of books or magazines that you enjoy reading.
- Do these publishers have a website? If so, study the titles in their book lines and the poems or magazine articles in their archives.
- Make a list of the publishers whose work seems most in line with yours.
- Study and carefully follow the writers' guidelines on each company's website.
- Submit your complete manuscript or a batch of 3-5 poems to one editor at a time.
- Keep track of where and when you sent your work. If you do not have a response in 2 to 3 months, follow-up.
- While you wait to hear about one manuscript, start another.
- If the editor returns your work, read it aloud. Listen for rough spots. Revise as needed, then submit your poems or manuscript to the next publisher on your list.
(c) 2009, Mary Harwell Sayler