May 19, 2017
Drawn in Bible Study: Mary, the Mother of Jesus
When I heard about Mary: Seeing God through the Eyes of a Mother by Eugene H. Peterson, I immediately requested a review copy from Tyndale Blog Network for at least three reasons:
1. The work of Eugene Peterson, translator of The Message (MSG), is consistently worth reading!
2. Positive writings about Mary, the Mother of Jesus, have been too few, except among Catholic book publishers or devotional writers, who annually focus on the Nativity.
3. The idea of a “Drawn in Bible Study” appealed to me greatly for its fresh approach to study and discussions about God’s Word.
Those aspects of this book by NavPress do not disappoint, despite a couple of negative reactions on my part. To get those out of the way, my first “Oh, no!” concerns the tight binding of the paperback cover, which does not lay flat or cooperate well if you want to color pages as the publisher most likely intended.
My other regret for this book concerns a couple of Bible verses chosen to be illustrated: 1.) “The starving poor sat down to a banquet; the callous rich were left out in the cold,” from Luke 1, MSG. 2.) “They suspected He was getting carried away with Himself,” from Mark 3, MSG.
Perhaps the publisher felt those verses needed to be emphasized. Regardless, the other quotations from scripture edify readers and build faith. Indeed the overall content of the text makes an insightful, innovative, spirit-filled way to invigorate a Bible study and get better acquainted with Jesus’ Mother Mary.
As part of the “Drawn in Bible Study” series, this highly recommended book also includes:
• artwork and spaces in which you can color or draw,
• contemporary verses from The Message,
• questions to help you connect your life with scripture,
• comments from Eugene Peterson,
• leader’s notes to encourage you to involve others in this refreshing study of God’s Word.
Reviewed by Mary Harwell Sayler, © 2017, poet-writer, Bible reviewer, and lover of God’s Word.
Mary: Seeing God through the Eyes of a Mother, Drawn in Bible Study, paperback
Bible Prayers: The prayer-song of Miriam : In this Bible prayer, Moses’ sister Miriam not only praises God for freeing the Hebrews from sla...