May 21, 2013

Lifting hands in prayer


Prayer-a-phrase from the first letter Paul wrote to Timothy:

First of all I urge you
to plea, pray, intercede,
and give thanks for everyone –
including leaders in high places,
so we can lead
quiet, peaceful lives
of godliness and holiness.

Isn’t this a good thing to do?

Yes, and it pleases God our Savior,
Who desires for everyone to be saved –
for everyone to come to know the truth –
the truth of the one God and the one
mediator between God and mankind,

Christ Jesus, Who, as a man,
gave Himself as the one ransom
Who pays for all people

To this I attest.
For this God blessed
and appointed me to be
a messenger, a proclaimer
of God’s good news,
a verifier of truth –
and that’s no lie!

So I teach this faith and truth,
hoping to reach all,
desiring that everywhere everyone
will pray, lifting holy hands
that hold nothing back – hands
lacking anger or argument –
clean hands – smudge-proof –
holding no grudge.

© 2013, Mary Harwell Sayler, prayer-a-phrase of 1Timothy 2:1-8 from today’s Daily Bible Readings in the Epistles

~~

No comments:

Me, Myself, and Eye Care

  Over a decade ago I began this blog, and, as time has flown, so has my vision. With a few other blogs to maintain, I hope to post/ repost ...